Thursday, December 31, 2009

Counting my blessings in 2009

It's New Year's eve and what better time than this to take stock. It's been a wonderful year and I have much to be thankful for - from the mundane to the truly extraordinary.

Right at the top of my list is Angel's miracle life. Who would have guessed that this baby with Down Syndrome would surprise all of us? A year ago at her birth, the doctors' prognosis wasn't exactly heartening. But here we are with a baby who is one smart cookie. No, no we are not in denial nor are we deluded. Angel has really accomplished a lot in the first year of her life; much more than anyone expected and I am very grateful for that.




I'm also thankful that I could take a break from my career to spend with my young kids. Having missed much of the action earlier, I am now savouring every little moment with my little ones. Bliss!

The other bright spot over the past year was discovering all the wonderful mommy blogs that kept my spirits up at a time when we were still coming to terms with having a baby with Down Syndrome. I love the honesty and sincerety that shows through all the mommy writings, especially those by moms of children with special needs. They have been a comfort to me on some of my darkest days. Thank you Moms and may God bless you all.

Some of the happiest memories of the year are those of time spent with the family - trips across the country and holidays at home. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :)


And finally I am thankful for my family - my two wonderful girls (make that four girls - including my two amazing nieces), my husband, my sister (should be somewhere on top of the list of things I'm thankful for), parents and other members - friends, good health and some of the material things that may not make life worthwhile but sure make you happy for a while.


So here's a big thank you to all those who made (and continue to make) my life so wonderful.

I'd love to hear from you about all the things you're thankful for this year.


Love and best wishes for a wonderful 2010,
JD

No comments:

Post a Comment