Saturday, February 13, 2010

The things I love about my new life

AngelicA's birth was the beginning of a new phase of my life. I'd go even as far as saying it's a new life altogether. Initially I didn't want any part of it. And it was at this time that my sister sent me the link to About Down Syndrome, a site put up by Caroline whose incredibly adorable son Sam also has Down Syndrome. I’m glad I checked the site. It was like a breath of fresh air after all the depressing medical stuff I was reading. For once, I felt a little hopeful about the future.

I mailed Carrie to tell her that and she mailed me a very reassuring reply. This is what she said:

I am glad you are able to find some hope. As your baby grows, you will realize she is not so different from others. She will light up your world. Sam has given us so much joy. We marvel at every little thing he accomplishes. He is five now and going to school every day. He loves it and does very well. Though he is not learning at the same rate as his non-Down syndrome classmates, he is learning, and that is all that matters.

I wish you much joy and happiness with your child. Keep looking at the bright side, but know that it is normal to grieve for the baby you thought you were going to have. You will learn to adjust your hopes and dreams to this child, and all will be well.

I was touched by her thoughtfulness. More importantly, reading Carrie's site was a turning point in our journey because I suddenly stumbled on to a whole world of mommy blogs and sites. And what a wonderful world it is.

I was comforted by the stories of all these wonderful families and amazed at the kind, caring and strong women who wrote them. These women, I could see, are all sisters of the heart who truly care for each other. They welcome a new member with a warm embrace and the nicest of words. They are always there for you and for your baby any time, any day, they are happy to give you advice, share their experiences, pray for you, cheer your baby on, lend their shoulder to cry on, and do every thing that they possibly can in spirit without expecting anything in return. I am now a part of this 'privileged' club of moms of kids with Down Syndrome and I feel truly blessed.

Counting My Blessings

Click Here For Images &
Counting My Blessings Pictures - Pictures

Over the past many months, I have often pondered on the other blessings that my new life has brought me, all the things that I now love. And so here it is, in no particular order, all the things that make my heart sing:

- I have found strength and courage that I never knew I had. Suddenly, I feel proud of myself for having got this far without breaking down every other day.

- I've figured out what is truly important in my life. Until Angel was born, my priorities were slightly different. Writing a great article, being appreciated for my work by my editors and readers...those were the things that would give me a high. Now, I get that sense of euphoria when I see my baby finally pull herself up to a standing position after a zillion attempts to get it right. And you know what, I'm happier now just spending time with my girls, taking them to the park, reading to them and singing silly songs and dancing with them. The headlines can wait.

- I love that my baby is still a baby who is just figuring out how to walk on her own and not a spunky toddler who's all over the place with me in hot pursuit; not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you're a parent of a child with Down Syndrome, you'll know just what I mean.

- I have found my cause - I have always been keen on supporting a cause but could never do much because I found too many of them tugging at my heartstrings. So even before I could roll up my sleeves, I was overwhelmed. Now, because of my baby with special needs, I've finally decided that this is the cause I will focus my energies on. Though I haven't got started yet, I have a plan and a purpose. I believe that the means will follow.

If you have a baby with special needs you might agree that you have received the gift of perspective with the arrival of this child. Would love to hear about what else you like about your life now. Please do write in at littlemommysunshine@gmail.com.

Thanks for reading,
JD

No comments:

Post a Comment